Monday, October 15, 2007

Hauling Hay

Last week, we stocked up on hay for the winter. I found a good hay dealer here in town and we decided to go ahead and buy a year's worth. That way we wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. We bought 96 bales of alfalfa. Each bale weighs about 60 lbs so I lifted a total of 5760 lbs of hay that week. Alfalfa is not easy to find around here. It requires more water to grow than we usually get here. Luckily, this guy has an irrigation system. It was expensive by hay standards ($8.50 per bale), but $2.00 cheaper than what the local feed store is selling. Not to mention the fact that Chloe likes this guy's hay better than the feed store's.
The kids had a blast climbing on the hay. I asked Sean if he would help me. He agreed. When I inquired as to whether he could lift a 60 lb bale he said: "No, but I can watch you do it." Thanks for the support. The kids climbed all over the bales and Sean and McCulla pretended to be a king and queen sitting on a throne. I never thought I would pay $800 for grass, but priorities change when you have animals.
Next year we're thinking of buying round bales. You save about 40% on cost because they're cheaper (mostly in manpower) to bale and move. It feels good to know that we're stocked up for the year, and I smile any time I look inside out hay shed. I love the smell of hay.



No comments: