Thursday, August 23, 2007

Getting Rid of Cable


In 2005 we made it official. Cable TV got the ax. I still remember talking to the cable representitive on the phone when I called to cancel it. She asked why we were cancelling, probably expecting the usual excuse that we were switching to satellite TV or something. When I told her we just don't watch enough TV to justify the cost, I could tell she was surprised. I think I had to tell her twice.

There were several reasons for this move. First, cable was getting way too expensive. I think we were paying something like $50 per month after taxes. That just seemed excessive to us. Secondly, we just didn't watch it that much. That's hard to imagine for a family that had no outside-the-home commitments except church. After Cameron (our third) was born, we were just too busy. But it was a good busy. We were busy playing, reading, and laughing. Plus, I started noticing that if I tried to plop down in front of the TV after work, Regina couldn't fix dinner because she had 2 kids crawling up her leg, and a baby who wanted to be held. I had to help more or I'd soon cause the "stink eye" to become a permenant look on my wife's face. (You know that look you're wife gives you when you're being an idiot) Lastly, there was too much stuff on there I didn't want the kids seeing. Even the news had inappropriate stuff in it, along the with commercials between the news segments. I seemed to be cringing more and more often when certain things would appear and Sean was watching. So, we pulled the plug, literally.

I never realized how much time I spent watching TV, especially on weekends. The darn thing made me lazy. When I didn't have it around to entertain me, I'd find myself with time on my hands, and I inevitably filled it (after all, who likes sitting around staring at static for hours?). For starters, I began playing with the kids more. Instead of viewing their laughing and playing as a nuisance that kept me from being able to hear my show, I started joining in on the fun. Secondly, I started going outside more. I had time for those "honey do" projects like weeding, mowing, etc. Thirdly, I started becoming a better husband. Instead of plopping in front of the TV after work, I would gravitate into the kitchen and actually talk to my wife (imagine that). On weekends, I would help clean the house, do indoor projects, or play with the kids. We started finding time to go to the park, or swimming. A nightly walk became part of our routine.

So what in the world does this subject have to do with the homestead? Well, having the homestead has made it even more practical not to have cable. With animals, a garden, and land to take care of, our list of projects has grown exponentially. (I have to be careful not to let the homestead take me away from the family too) If ever we had a reason to get rid of it, this place is it. We would get nothing done around here if we watched TV as much as we used to.

We still watch movies, but the level of control on what the kids see has gone way up. TV is not the enemy, and you can still have cable and be a good parent, its just harder. It was hard to give up cable at first, but pretty soon I started wondering what the heck I was missing. Except for the occasional fuzzy episode of 24 on the rabbit ears, our evenings consist of talking, playing, swimming, and reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Dad and I should try giving up cable. We watch way too much tv, too. Me and my TLC (Little People, Big World, A Baby Story, etc.) and Animal Planet. Dad and ESPN and news tv. (Hannity and Colms, Bill O'Reilly). Sometimes, in the evening, we find ourselves fighting over the tv like children. Isn't that stupid? Now that we are retired, it happens for often. I think I'll talk to Dad about it and maybe give it a try. It would be easier and cheaper than trying not to watch it.

Derek said...

I've just found that I'm more productive without TV. If you get rid of it you and dad might find time to garden, take up evening walks or some hobby.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'll talk to Dad. I like the idea of evening walks. I need to do it more than Dad does. I have been losing weight now that I don't have access to the candy machine at school. There are many scenic places around Lake Georgetown that we could drive to and then walk.
You're a good man, Derek Woodley.

Candy said...

okay, so finally a post I can relate to! ha! No, really I have enjoyed reading them. It is almost as good as having you as our small group leader. :) We haven't had cable since the year 2000! Wow, I can't believe it has been that long. We got rid of it because it had started costing like $40 a month, I think. Tim would LOVE to have more channels, but we just don't watch enough TV for it to be worth the extra cost. So, I'm right there with ya on this one!