Monday, August 20, 2007

Update to "Weeds!"


I can feel God brow beating me to clarify my post on weeds. I've always been a stickler for not taking scripture out of context. I have to admit that I did it a little in my "Weeds!" post.

Matthew 13:24-26 is really talking about something a little different. The field is the world, the wheat being sown are the believers (true converts) in Christ, and the weeds are those who don't know Christ. The weeds are agents of Satan and sow dissension, malice, anger, and deceit in the church and among believers. Later on in the passage, when asked if the weeds should be pulled, the man who's field it was said:

"No, because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn." Matthew 13:29&30.

And just where do I get this insightful interpretation of the parable: from the man himself...

"[Jesus] answered, 'The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.'" Matthew 13:37-39.

I think you would agree the analogy is still sound. The Bible often talks of yeast as being equated metaphorically with sin. It is sort of the same thing. The yeast gets worked into the bread and effects the whole loaf.

There, now I can go put some ice I my head.

No comments: